Studio Automation

One goal I have is to explore home automation.  Figure I would start with the studio. We already have xfinity alarm system in the house, I started with an Alexa  with Echo Plus.

Then added  the August lock for the front door,  with the hub and keypad

Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.
Return eligible through May 10, 2018
$54.49
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.
Return eligible through May 10, 2018
$45.44
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Serial Numbers:
G090NV03747404WG
$137.65
Advertisements

Studio Main Room

Continued working on the Studio main room. Sarah’s stuff arrived so add a bed and put the workbench top on the autonomous  powered desk, which I painted black.

The workbench can rise up to 43″ so kind of cool. Was a pain to get it working. the lift mechanism would do one side but not the other. So every combo of doing it wrong was tried. Plus it worked fine without the top. so had to keep putting the top on and off. Turned out the coupling from the motor to the remote size, There are two the one closest to the motor, the one from the factory was never really had the shaft seated into the coupler complete. No way to really know is it was not visible inside the coupler. Got that working then some how got the legs out of sync so had to undo again. It was a head scratching challenge.

Wonder what will be next.

The blue tool box is a staging area. On it currently are 3 projects.

  • Phillips lights and zig bee light switches. for home automation
  • Wi Fi outdoor extender for Robot work outside
  • Solar lighting fixtures for street numbers and yard art.
  • Project is on the workbench maybe ceiling mount and hide the electronics

Guest bed now in the space so somewhere to nap, Need bedding.

Table could be replaced with a couch?

Working on a mobile island with Ikea Cabinets and a Grizzly workbench top.  Will be 6′ long  3′ wide and 34″ tall. should fit in the corner nicely or position in the center near the workbench. Cost about 1200 for the parts so waiting on ordering till some money accumulates.

Studio main room

The main room in the studio is not fully functional. We have been trying to figure out how to best use this space. The area is so nice and clean, wedo not want to do anything that would make a lot of dust. Than leaves the saws, grinding, sanding, drilling, etc out of the main area.

This is a blank canvas that we are starting to figure out how to make functional. We want to be able to have overnight guest sleep in here. That means a bed. Since Sarah’s stuff is showing up. We will have a bed, Thinking of putting it in the south west corner. Maybe a couch or two.  Ames Chair?

I have nice video projector that could be put to use.

Order a Grizzly 96″ x 30″ x 1.75″ work bench top to start with.

My current project, that will utilize this space, is related to computer vision and perception for indoor and outdoor robots.

Live edge cabinets for the studio

The studio is a terrific space but has limited cabinet space.

For my B-day I was able to purchase several live edge cherry planks that I wanted to use as shelves or counter tops. Adding a natural element to the sterile white  design. I mounted the planks down the hallway to see if  the  would not crowd the space. The hallway is only 5 feet wide so easy to make it feel narrow and tight squeezing by.

Mardi started commenting on the look and we together with a fair amount of arguing back and forth came up with a great solution and look. I had researched lots of cabinet options but had not found one that was inexpensive and practical. I was getting ready to just make my own cabinets with sliding fronts. The closest I had gotten to something that could work, was some 15″ deep wall cabinets from Ikea.

So on a rainy Saturday  after mulching,  we headed off to Ikea in Renton about 50 minutes away to take a look.  We were able to find, purchase and take home  cabinets and everything needed to make this work. Total cost of the 5 cabinets was around $750.  I spent the following rainy Sunday assembling and mounting the 5 cabinets,  Took all day.

Assemble of the cabinets was quick first one about 40 minutes and mounted the back inside out so had a lighter more reflective back, Cabinet was really dark with the finished wood side in.  Following cabinets took about 15 minutes each.

The feet are made for base cabinets will holes in them to mount the feet. Wall cabinets do not have these holed so ended up cutting the pegs off the feet on the band saw.

Still need to trim to size and  finish the cherry planks with Rubio monocoat.

The Stanley small parts bin fit standing on end or flat on the shelf.  Will need to move the labels to the handle areas.

Turns out the small plank for the single cabinet is too narrow,  which means another trip up to Edensaw  Lumber and Port Townsend, to get another plank.